I almost hesitated to share my low volume quilt, because I know I don’t always keep up or finish projects! I am actually already behind. As of today I was three blocks behind, so I decided to work on the most current pattern, and then hopefully keep up from here. Now I feel less behind, and can catch up from here (also today’s block was smaller and I knew I could get it done quickly.)

I am still mulling over the last two weeks blocks. I am finding that deciding where to put the different neutral beiges and grays takes a bit more thought than colors. Picturing it is more challenging, but I am glad for that!

Even though the block is simple, it’s all triangles, so I decided to make them a bit oversized, then trim them down. I didn’t want to do math, and I looked at the quarter units and thought that I could easily trim them.

The small triangles are to be cut as 4 1/4″ squares, then cut twice; the larger triangles are 3 7/8″ squares cut once. I rounded up to 4 1/2″ and 4″ because that was just easy. I was tired!

I sewed the small triangles together, pressed them, then lined them up by eye in the middle of the larger triangle. I knew it wouldn’t be a perfect match, but that was ok since I was trimming later! (I probably should have taken a picture, but I was excited to see if my plan was going to work!)

The left block is trimmed, the right one is waiting it’s turn!

Then I pressed the units very well. They were supposed to measure 3 1/2″ at this point. Half of that is 1 3/4″so I used my square ruler and placed the square of that measurement at the center. In addition, I made sure the 3 1/2″ was on the large diagonal seam, and that the forty-five degree line was on the small line. I decided with such a small block I would just cut it and see if that was correct…it was! I turned the block and cut the remaining sides, checking with these lines again rather than just using the 3 1/2″ lines.

The arrows show the points where I matched. It’s a rough picture, but I think you can see what I mean.

I repeated it with the other four, stitched them together and felt accomplished. It probably only took me half an hour to do the whole block. I am pretty happy my non-math plan worked! It doesn’t always when I try to change things up!

The center of the pinwheel isn’t perfect, but it’s ok with me. I think there will be a lot going on in this quilt, so with that and my low volume choices, I decided it would work.

I feel a bit less behind now! But tomorrow a new one comes out!

Here’s the link to blockheads:

http://blog.modafabrics.com/block-heads-2/

Trying to keep up

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *